Friday, January 20, 2006

Moving On

On Jan 18th, 2006, at 5:49 PM, I tendered my resignation with my current employer, and have accepted an offer with a consulting behemoth, in hopes of a better future and enhancing my career opportunities. Despite looking ahead, towards a hopefully better future, I cannot but feel melancholic about my departure with the current employer.

For the past 10 years, for better or worse, I have been an employee of this firm, except for a 1 year hiatus in Melbourne, Australia. 10 years out of the 16 years in my professional life. That’s a long time, and the company has been good to me. It has provided me with decent opportunities and I have been well like and respected by my peers and superiors (well, at least that what I think !!!). So then what was the reason to leave, one might ask?

After 10 years, a sense of jaded monotony had set in, and there wasn’t anything dramatically new that I was learning in my current responsibility. The challenges didn’t seem insurmountable and the motivation, or rather lack of it, simply didn’t warrant continuity in the current work life. There were other external extenuating circumstances, which were beyond my control, which forced me to take a long term view of my professional life and move on. Hopefully, for the best. Only time will tell.

But how does one just walk away from 10 years of associations and camaraderie that you build up without feeling a tinge of sadness? All the battle scars to prove the wars that you fought with your team mates, office lunches and parties, sharing baby pictures and swapping spouse tyrannies, sports talks, the office grapevine stories, whining about the common foe viz. the top management, discuss goal/objectives in life, vacation stories and all those little things that make your work place just not work alone.

Someone must sure have calculated this, and I don’t have them handy, but most of your adult life and most of your conscious hours are spent with your colleagues and team mates. Your workmates may change over a period of time, but if they demand that much slice of your time, then they must be the most important associations that you are going to build in your lifetime.

For the most past, over the past 10 years, I’ve had fantastic rapport with my immediate bosses, including the current one. That’s what make it that much more difficult when you leave. It would be so much easier if the boss was an asshole, you could at least rub his face in the incredulity of your departure (assuming that your departure would mean greater impact to the organization). Not true when you have bosses that you respect and revere, in which case parting ways becomes that much conflicted.

Nevertheless, like all milestone decisions in life, only time will tell what the future holds for me. Until then I brood. Brood…brood.

9 Comments:

Blogger Karthik said...

Congratulations on your new (ad)venture !

Best Regards
Karthik

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Sourin!

And a Happy new Year. I know a little late.

Vinita

9:00 AM  
Blogger Anshul said...

A good way to start the year 2006, Sourin. Congrats and wish you all the best in life!!!

Take care and keep in touch.

Anshul

10:24 AM  
Blogger Sourin Rao said...

Karthik/Anshul
Thanks guys. Life would'nt be half as fun without u guys around.

V
HNY to u too. Hope u are doing well.

Sourin

10:37 AM  
Blogger The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

All the very best!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Michael Higgins said...

Hi Sourin
Good luck in your new career. It is almost certainly a good move to try to diversify your experience. My wife has had 4 jobs in the last 6 years and has learned a ton on the job. I have had one employer and my skills have just stagnated and so has my career.

Leaving friends and good working relationships is difficult however. It might be that your next job might be a different experience. Whatever happens, try to learn something.

Good luck.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Sujatha Bagal said...

Gosh, Sourin! A lot of changes, eh? Congratulations and good luck with your new job. Hope you will not have to travel a lot.

Sujatha.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Karthik said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you !

Welcome to the Club !

Regards
Karthik

4:53 PM  
Blogger Sourin Rao said...

Shofie: Thanks

Michael: Thanks you. Yes I'm excited about the learning process and change though sometimes unsettling, can be a good thing. This would mean relocating for us adn the logistics involved in this are quite steep, but in the long haul, it makes sense. So I'm looking forward to this change. You should find a new job too, if you feel you are stagnating.

Suj: Yes, lotsa changes. Fun, fun, times. :)))

Karthik: Club indeed it is.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Link